So I know it has been a while since I posted, and you have no idea how the rest of my trip went, so here goes:
We missed Mass at the Cathedral on our second day in Killarney -- Wednesday, February 16th, because it took longer to get to and from Ross Castle than anticipated, and we had no watch with us. We did, however, go back to Flor's establishment (The Antler Inn) that night. I know I said I would protect the secrecy of his establishment, but he said he would prefer it be known to my viewers. It was a good night, and a fun one. We stayed until closing time, and he took us back to our hostel at the end of the evening. Between Irish Coffee, Hot Irish Whiskey, Brandy & Bailey's, and Guinness, suffice it to say Greaser and I each had our fill.
The next day we took the bus out to Doolin, a small town in County Clare near the Cliffs of Moher. How beautiful! We went to O'Connor's that evening and heard some live Irish music, the best of which was crooned by the one-legged Irishman, a local. Doolin is awful during tourist season, but this time of year it is intimate enough to truly enjoy the Irish feel of it. I had the best meal of the whole week in Doolin. For those going, I recommend the Spicy Chicken dish at McGann's -- it might seem expensive, but it's well worth it.
The second day in Doolin, Greaser and I hiked from our hostel to the Cliffs of Moher, at least 10 kilometers (I don't know the equivalent mileage -- I could look it up, but who cares). That night we went back to McGanns for dinner, vegetarian as it was Friday, which was also quite delicious. We stayed for music that evening, instead of going to O'Connors, and what a blast it was. Definitely quality music, so McGann's is the place to be in Doolin, but Doolin is not the place to be during tourist season.
Saturday we took the bus to Dublin. I met a few interesting people en route from Limerick to Dublin (our second leg of the trip). Christopher, age 9, and his sister Sharlese (sp?), 6, were riding with their mother back home. The children were so much fun to play games with. Unfortunately mother got ill en route, and I had to offer her a bag I was carrying, and Greaser's Aer Lingus courtesy blanket. Sharlese was so worried about her mother, it was utterly cute, and her nerves caused her bladder to feel weak. She held it for about 30 minutes, and made it right to the Dublin stop, before bolting off the bus. Bless their hearts! God is good! As much as vomiting might sound unappealing, that bus trip was one of the best experiences on the trip. Sorry to Greaser for commandeering his blanket, but what could I do.
Saturday night we stayed in the airport, because of trouble with a hostel in Dublin. Beware the Citi Hostel near the train station. It reeks of cigarette smoke, and the attendant behind the counter, while puffing his own cig, will try to tell you nobody smokes in that hostel. After he has taken your money. And makes up BS excuses as to why he cannot refund it. Stay away from that establishment.
That marked our last night in Ireland. What an experience! It was good to have trials, and so much have I learned about myself and about travel. God speed, and more updates on my travel experiences will follow.
Pax Christi sit semper vobiscum.
3 comments:
You have time to read and comment on my site, but don't have to time to work on your own??
Well, your site keeps freezing on me. I'll have to make all my posts here.
Came across , and of course, thought of you.
Post a Comment