Saturday, July 01, 2006

Back in Black

I have once again embarked on great travels and sojourning, finding myself in Vladivostok, Russia. I arrived Yesterday, Saturday, July 1st, after having left Atlanta on Wednesday. Four flights and a 36 hour layover in LA later, I was greeted at the airport by ... nobody. That's right, they forgot me. The school I will be taking classes at was supposed to pick me up and get me registered in town with the 5-0 (you have to do that whenever you go to any city in Russia). But no. So I called up Father Myron Effing, the prior of the Canons Regular of Jesus the Lord, who sent his driver, Nikolai, to pick me up. 10 points to Bernie, as one of Nikolai's passengers when he arrived to get me was in fact a Svetlana.

So I arrived at the Mother of God Cathedral, where I will be living, and was shown to my quarters -- the sacristy. I have the futon by the bookshelf, and a wardrobe (as from The Lion, the Witch, and...). I don't yet have an alarm clock, so I get a phone call at wake-up time. I also don't yet have a pillow, or a window. The latter I am thankful not to have. It doesn't get dark here until 11:30 at night, and it gets light at probably between 5 and 5:30am.

Liturgy of the hours is in Russian. I have no idea what it is I am attempting to say, but it works. Mass is in an hour, and I have to serve. That should be even more interesting.

That's all for now -- more updates to come.

1 comment:

Where there is gold... said...

Good to know you arrived safely, at least, and didn't get kidnapped and put into slavery of any sort.... Oh wait, your not a girl, so you should be safe from those people. Hey, while your over there why don't you try and stop some of those nasty women trafficers? It's getting really bad over here in Western Europe.

Praying for you always!

Havilah